Re: Column-Level Privileges - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Column-Level Privileges
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> One thing that just occured to me is that we could, should we want to,
> move the column-level privs over into the 'Access privileges' column by
> just adding them on after the table-level privs.  We would want to make
> sure the table-level privs come first and maybe have some seperator to
> indicate that the following are column-level privs.

> That might make the display nicer on 80-col systems, though personally
> I like larger windows. :)

Well, the examples I've looked at fit in 80 columns, but it's true that
all the identifiers involved were pretty short.  The alternative I think
you're suggesting is
             Access privilegesSchema | Name | Type  |     Access privileges
--------+------+-------+---------------------------public | foo  | table | postgres=arwdDxt/postgres
 : joe=r/postgres                      : bar:                      :   joe=a/postgres                      : baz:
              :   joe=w/postgres

(1 row)

which is definitely more compact horizontally, but I think it's harder
to follow.  It's also *less* compact vertically, which is not a
negligible consideration either.