Re: Column-Level Privileges - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Column-Level Privileges
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> Well, the examples I've looked at fit in 80 columns, but it's true that
> all the identifiers involved were pretty short.  The alternative I think
> you're suggesting is

Yeah, I see that now.  I guess you'd need a column identifier wider than
'Column Access Privileges' or so, which is almost asking for trouble
already, or a combination of grantee+privs+grantor greater than around
the same, which would require rolenames of >9 characters for grantee
and grantor, which is probably not that common.  The new stuff added to
split the ACL across lines is pretty nice.

> which is definitely more compact horizontally, but I think it's harder
> to follow.  It's also *less* compact vertically, which is not a
> negligible consideration either.

yea, I'd rather we provide more information on a given row than add
additional rows, but I also tend to run my DB-work terminals at
220x70 or so, which seems to indicate I'm in the minority. :)
Thanks,
    Stephen