Re: Review of: pg_stat_statements with query tree normalization - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Review of: pg_stat_statements with query tree normalization
Date
Re: Review of: pg_stat_statements with query tree normalization  (Daniel Farina <daniel@heroku.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Excerpts from Daniel Farina's message of dom ene 15 08:41:55 -0300 2012:
>> Onto the mechanism: the patch is both a contrib and changes to
>> Postgres.  The changes to postgres are mechanical in nature, but
>> voluminous.  The key change is to not only remember the position of
>> Const nodes in the query tree, but also their length, and this change
>> is really extensive although repetitive.

> I wonder if it would make sense to split out those changes from the
> patch, including a one-member struct definition to the lexer source,
> which could presumably be applied in advance of the rest of the patch.
> That way, if other parts of the main patch are contentious, the tree
> doesn't drift under you.  (Or rather, it still drifts, but you no longer
> care because your bits are already in.)

Well, short of seeing an acceptable patch for the larger thing, I don't
want to accept a patch to add that field to Const, because I think it's
a kluge.  I'm still feeling that there must be a better way ...