Re: [HACKERS] ArrayLists instead of List (for some things) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] ArrayLists instead of List (for some things)
Date
Re: [HACKERS] ArrayLists instead of List (for some things)  (Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: [HACKERS] ArrayLists instead of List (for some things)  (David Rowley <david.rowley@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
David Rowley <david.rowley@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> Comments on the design are welcome, but I was too late to the
> commitfest, so there are other priorities. However, if you have a
> strong opinion, feel free to voice it.

I do not like replacing Lists piecemeal; that's a recipe for ongoing
API breakage and back-patching pain.  Plus we'll then have *four*
different linked-list implementations in the backend, which sure
seems like too many.

We've jacked up the List API and driven a new implementation underneath
once before.  Maybe it's time to do that again.