RE: Why Not MySQL? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject RE: Why Not MySQL?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> >existing M$ Access app. So far, we were too polite to ask why one is
> >working so hard to maintain compatibility with a non-standard
> >interface, rather than writing the app to be portable. But I'll ask
> >now. Tim?
>
> Fair enough question. I agree with you that this is non
> standard typical MS lock in crap. But I have an application
> that is written in access and has outgrown the data engine in
> access (which is pretty pathetic). Unfortunately this
> application is very large with over 300 tables and over 1400
> saved queries (views). The MS solution to this problem is to
> upgrade to MS-SQL server (vendor lock in) which processes the
> queries in the exact same case insensitive manner. SQL server
> does not break my application. I on the other hand want to
> avoid upsizing to SQL server.
Not to turn you away from PostgreSQL, but you might want to look at MSDE
(Microsoft Data Engine) as an easier step. It has the same query processor
as SQL Server, but scales much better (and includes transaction logs etc).
See for example
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/backgrnd/html/msdeforvs.htm.
The license for MSDE is also included in Office 2000 Pro/Premium, so chances
are you may already have the required licenses.
Still leaves you in the Microsoft box, though.

//Magnus