Re: pg_dump DROP commands and implicit search paths - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump DROP commands and implicit search paths
Date
List pgsql-hackers
nconway@klamath.dyndns.org (Neil Conway) writes:
> I'd prefer this method -- IMHO the readibility of dump scripts isn't
> a top priority (or if it is, we're not doing very well in that regard
> any). I think dump scripts should be as verbose as is necessary to
> ensure that they can't be misinterpreted.

Perhaps instead of "readability" I should have said "editability".
The thought that is lurking behind this is that you might want to
retarget a dump script to be reloaded in some other schema.  If the
dump is cluttered with umpteen thousand copies of the schema name
that's going to be difficult.

Ideally I'd like the dumped object definitions to contain *no* explicit
references to their containing schema.  This would allow, for example,
a pg_restore mode that loads the objects into a different schema.