Re: pg_dump DROP commands and implicit search paths - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From nconway@klamath.dyndns.org (Neil Conway)
Subject Re: pg_dump DROP commands and implicit search paths
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 02:58:08PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> 1. Explicitly qualify target-object names in the DROP commands,

> 2. Modify the backend so that DROP has a different behavior from
> other commands

> Choice #1 is logically cleaner but would clutter the dump script with
> many more explicit schema references than I'd like to have.

I'd prefer this method -- IMHO the readibility of dump scripts isn't
a top priority (or if it is, we're not doing very well in that regard
any). I think dump scripts should be as verbose as is necessary to
ensure that they can't be misinterpreted.

> Choice #2 is awfully ugly at first glance but might prove a good
> idea in the long run.

It's certainly ugly, and I'm skeptical as to its long term benefits
(I would think that the cleaner solution would be more maintainable
in the long run). Am I missing something?

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>