Re: FW: Creating DataBases on Suse LINUX Platform - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: FW: Creating DataBases on Suse LINUX Platform
Date
List pgsql-novice
"Cook, Larry ISC" <Larry.Cook@isc.ca> writes:
> ...however, still get the same error message --> could not connect to
> database template1: FATAL:  IDENT authentication failed for user "postgres".

If you really are logged in as postgres, the only other reason for this
failure that I can think of is that the postmaster couldn't verify your
identity.  That should always work if you are connecting to it via a
Unix socket ... but if you are connecting via TCP/IP then that requires
an ident daemon, which most people don't run by default.  So maybe the
problem is you are specifying "-h localhost" or some variant?

Worst case, you could turn off the authentication check (by changing
pg_hba.conf) for long enough to create some initial user accounts.
But it'd be better to figure out what's going wrong, because it really
should work.

            regards, tom lane