Re: Upgrading the backend's error-message infrastructure - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Upgrading the backend's error-message infrastructure
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Darko Prenosil <darko.prenosil@finteh.hr> writes:
> What about user messages ?
> If I remember correct, MSSQL had a system catalog table with formated error
> messages, and it was possible to raise error with error number and it's
> parameters. It can be very useful when you must raise same error from
> different places in the code.

But that's exactly the direction we are *not* going in.  We had that
discussion a long time ago when we first started internationalizing
our error messages.  Peter Eisentraut convinced everybody that we did
not want to tie error codes to unique error messages.  [digs in archives
...] See for example
http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1279991
I have no desire to revisit that choice.

There is nothing to stop you from creating your own user-defined
messages, and even adding them to the .po files in your installation
if the need strikes.  We aren't going to store them in any system table,
however.