Re: Upgrading the backend's error-message infrastructure - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Þórhallur Hálfdánarson
Subject Re: Upgrading the backend's error-message infrastructure
Date
List pgsql-hackers
-*- Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> [ 2003-03-14 15:33 ]:
> Darko Prenosil <darko.prenosil@finteh.hr> writes:
> > What about user messages ?
> > If I remember correct, MSSQL had a system catalog table with formated error
> > messages, and it was possible to raise error with error number and it's
> > parameters. It can be very useful when you must raise same error from
> > different places in the code.
>
> But that's exactly the direction we are *not* going in.  We had that
> discussion a long time ago when we first started internationalizing
> our error messages.  Peter Eisentraut convinced everybody that we did
> not want to tie error codes to unique error messages.  [digs in archives
> ...] See for example
> http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1279991
> I have no desire to revisit that choice.
>
> There is nothing to stop you from creating your own user-defined
> messages, and even adding them to the .po files in your installation
> if the need strikes.  We aren't going to store them in any system table,
> however.

What about the option of having error numbers unique, but have error numbers linked to error messages (unique in code,
butshare strings).

Just my .02 ISK.

--
Regards,