Re: BUG #13757: Able to write to postgres even when the main process has been killed - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #13757: Able to write to postgres even when the main process has been killed
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Kevin Grittner <kgrittn@ymail.com> writes:
> On Thursday, November 5, 2015 1:11 PM, "vijaysam@mailworks.org" <vijaysam@mailworks.org> wrote:
>> when I try to kill -9 the master server main postgres process.
>> The client code from java is able to continue to write to the
>> postgres db which was the old master as there was a connection
>> established to this server and the connection keeps allowing
>> write to happen as thought the server is still running.

> Before reporting a bug it is a good idea to check whether a fix for
> it is available.

IIUC, the OP is complaining about the fact that backends will keep running
even if the postmaster has died.  That's not a bug, but the designed
behavior.  There's been some recent discussion of changing it, but if it
does change it will only be in HEAD not back branches.

            regards, tom lane