Re: RTLD_LAZY considered harmful (Re: pltlc and pltlcu - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: RTLD_LAZY considered harmful (Re: pltlc and pltlcu
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA@spardat.at> writes:
> One thing to really watch out for is that old style extensions,
> that only need a few functions from a standard library will load
> more efficiently with RTLD_LAZY.

I thought we had disposed of that argument.  The issue here is not a
marginal efficiency gain, it is that an unresolved symbol will lead
to a backend crash (== database-wide restart) unless it is detected
at dlopen time.  As a wise man once said, "I can make it arbitrarily
fast ... if it doesn't have to work."

> Next thing to watch out for is, that RTLD_NOW will probably not load
> a shared lib, that was not linked with a "no entry" flag.

Say again?