Re: Database OID xxxxx now seems to belong to "foo" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Database OID xxxxx now seems to belong to "foo"
Date
List pgsql-general
> Gauthier, Dave wrote:
>>> Trying (and failing) to attach to my DBs.  Getting...
>>> database "foo_standby" has disappeared form pg_database
>>> DETAIL: Database OID 2323523 now seems to belong to "foo"

> Hmm - if a shutdown + restart fixed it, I'm wondering if it wasn't just
> a long-lived connection remembering where 2323523 used to point to.

No, it's the "flat file" copy of pg_database that's supplying that
number, and the reason the restart fixed it is that the flat file
is forcibly rebuilt during a restart.  What's not quite clear is
why the flat file was wrong.

We've seen this type of failure reported from the field before,
and as far as I recall the triggering condition was transaction ID
wraparound due to lack of vacuuming ... but haven't consumed enough
caffeine this morning to remember details.

            regards, tom lane