Re: 7.4's INFORMATION_SCHEMA.Columns View - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 7.4's INFORMATION_SCHEMA.Columns View
Date
Re: 7.4's INFORMATION_SCHEMA.Columns View  (mike.griffin@mygenerationsoftware.com)
List pgsql-general
mike.griffin@mygenerationsoftware.com writes:
> This is part of the Columns View, if you add a numeric field to your table
> and don't provide any Length or Precision then :

> numeric_precision is returned as 65535
> numeric_scale is returned as 65531

Yeah, that's what you'd get for a numeric field with no length
constraint.  (I suspect varchar with no length constraint will
display funny as well.)

The SQL spec doesn't allow unconstrained lengths for these types
so it gives no guidance about what to display in the information_schema
views.  Any opinions?

            regards, tom lane