Re: Patch for Makefile race against current cvs - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Patch for Makefile race against current cvs
Date
Re: Patch for Makefile race against current cvs
List pgsql-patches
Klaus Naumann <knaumann@gmx-ag.de> writes:
> Also even if it would be make's fault I don't see what my patch makes
> worse. But if you don't want to apply it, you don't apply it.

Well, as to whether it gets applied or not, I'll defer to Peter
Eisentraut who has done most of the work recently on our configure and
make support.  The reason I'm asking all these questions is that I
want to understand what the problem really is.  It seems to me that if
we have a problem with these bison invocations then we are likely to
have similar problems elsewhere.  We need to understand why it's
unsafe and what the general rule is for avoiding such mistakes in
future.

What bothers me is that you seem to be saying that *any* construct
involving multiple outputs from one rule is unsafe in a parallel make.
That strikes me as a huge restriction, and one that would surely be
mentioned prominently in the gmake manual if it were real.  But I can't
find anything that says that.

I think what you are looking at here is a gmake bug, and that you should
report it to the gmake people.

            regards, tom lane