Re: Patch for Makefile race against current cvs - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Klaus Naumann
Subject Re: Patch for Makefile race against current cvs
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, Tom Lane wrote:

> Klaus Naumann <knaumann@gmx-ag.de> writes:
> > It is ... the problem is that with the current Makefile there
> > are always two files which need the .y files
> > (i.e. preproc.c and preproc.h). If you now do a make -j3,
> > make will start things in parallel.
>
> But they're generated by the *same action*.  If make runs the same
> action twice in parallel, it's make that is broken.  I think your
> gripe is directed to the wrong place.

I don't have any gripe ! I just wanted to help a good (at least
as I thought) project ...

About the other thing:
This is GNU Make version 3.79.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
On Debian/Woody Linux. So well, this make runs these things in
parallel.
Also even if it would be make's fault I don't see what my patch makes
worse. But if you don't want to apply it, you don't apply it.

    Later, Klaus

--
Klaus Naumann
Systems Administration