Re: Updated ALTER TABLE ... SET TABLESPACE patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Updated ALTER TABLE ... SET TABLESPACE patch
Date
Re: Updated ALTER TABLE ... SET TABLESPACE patch
List pgsql-patches
> Added to TODO;
>     * Allow moving sequences and toast tables to other tablespaces
> in case no one does it.

Please remove that; if I thought either one was a good idea, I would
have allowed it in the committed patch.

Sequences are too small to be worth moving around, and may someday be
reimplemented in a fashion that doesn't use up a separate disk file for
each one.  If we allow SET TABLESPACE on them we will be limiting our
future flexibility for no useful gain.

Toast tables are bound to their parent tables because (a) pg_dump isn't
nearly smart enough to handle moving them, and (b) I've got concerns
about how you decide whether a person is authorized to move one.

            regards, tom lane