Re: BUG #9416: Setting up postgresql-9.1 (9.1.12-0wheezy1) Fails Configuration - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #9416: Setting up postgresql-9.1 (9.1.12-0wheezy1) Fails Configuration
Date
Re: BUG #9416: Setting up postgresql-9.1 (9.1.12-0wheezy1) Fails Configuration  (Patrick Boake <pboake@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-bugs
> On 2014-03-03 16:28:21 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Right now, you only get a failure of the pgstats subsystem, which is
>> logged.  I don't think we can do much more than that unless you want
>> to make it a postmaster-refuses-to-start case, which seems like not
>> a net improvement.

> I'd actually say that'd be an improvement. I've, a long time ago, spent
> several hours debugging a case of this, it's nontrivial for a
> beginner. And a normal PG install simply won't work properly without
> pgstat these days, so refusing to startup seems reasonable.

I still don't much like refusing to start.

Perhaps we should reconsider the idea of just hardwiring "127.0.0.1" and
the corresponding IPv6 locution into pgstats?  Or maybe better, hard-wire
trying those if "localhost" fails to resolve.

            regards, tom lane