Re: More message encoding woes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: More message encoding woes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Where does it get the default codeset from?  Maybe we could constrain
>> that to match the database encoding, the way we do for LC_COLLATE/CTYPE?

> LC_CTYPE. In 8.3 and up where we constrain that to match the database
> encoding, we only have a problem with the C locale.

... and even if we wanted to fiddle with it, that just moves the problem
over to finding an LC_CTYPE value that matches the database encoding
:-(.

Yup, it's a mess.  We'd have done this long ago if it were easy.

Could we get away with just unconditionally calling
bind_textdomain_codeset with *our* canonical spelling of the encoding
name?  If it works, great, and if it doesn't, you get English.