Re: Comparing 2 databases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From akp geek
Subject Re: Comparing 2 databases
Date
Re: Comparing 2 databases  (Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info>)
List pgsql-general
thanks for the repsonse. I appreciate it. are there any limitations on using this one?  Means that we have to the same user on both databases and same passwords.

I have used the command following way

  check_postgres.pl --action=same_schema -H 172.xxxx  -p 1550   --db=myProdDB  --dbuser=prodUser  --dbpass=prodPwd  --dbhost2=172.xxxxx --db=testDB  --dbuser=testUser  --dbpass=testPwd  --verbose > difference.txt

what happend was , it complained about the password, then I tried replacing the testPwd with prodPwd, then it started executing. but it prompted for password for testuser. that's where I got confused

One question I have is, is there an option to specify schema also

Thanks once again

Regards

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 1:57 PM, Joshua Tolley <eggyknap@gmail.com> wrote:
On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 11:43:58AM -0500, akp geek wrote:
>    Hi all -
>
>              I have postgres running on 2 servers. one production and one
>    testing. What would be the best way to compare the 2 database, so find out
>    the differences? Can you please advice?
>
>    regards

That depends on what you mean by "compare". check_postgres[1] has a schema
comparison action you can use.

[1] http://bucardo.org/wiki/Check_postgres

--
Joshua Tolley / eggyknap