Re: Conflict Detection and Resolution - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Conflict Detection and Resolution
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2024-Jun-07, Tomas Vondra wrote:

> On 6/3/24 09:30, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > On Sat, May 25, 2024 at 2:39 AM Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> >> How is this going to deal with the fact that commit LSN and timestamps
> >> may not correlate perfectly? That is, commits may happen with LSN1 <
> >> LSN2 but with T1 > T2.

> But as I wrote, I'm not quite convinced this means there are not other
> issues with this way of resolving conflicts. It's more likely a more
> complex scenario is required.

Jan Wieck approached me during pgconf.dev to reproach me of this
problem.  He also said he had some code to fix-up the commit TS
afterwards somehow, to make the sequence monotonically increasing.
Perhaps we should consider that, to avoid any problems caused by the
difference between LSN order and TS order.   It might be quite
nightmarish to try to make the system work correctly without
reasonable constraints of that nature.