Re: pgsql: Fix search_path to a safe value during maintenance operations. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: pgsql: Fix search_path to a safe value during maintenance operations.
Date
Re: pgsql: Fix search_path to a safe value during maintenance operations.  (Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com>)
List pgsql-committers
On Sat, Jun 10, 2023 at 01:33:31AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> writes:
> > Attached a patch to mark those functions as PARALLEL UNSAFE, which
> > fixes the problem.
>
> > Alternatively, I could just take out that line, as those SQL functions
> > are not controlled by the MAINTAIN privilege. But for consistency I
> > think it's a good idea to leave it in so that index functions are
> > called with the right search path for amcheck.
>
> I concur with the upthread objection that it is way too late in
> the release cycle to be introducing a breaking change like this.
> I request that you revert it.

The timing was not great, but this is fixing a purported defect in an older
v16 feature.  If the MAINTAIN privilege is actually fine, we're all set for
v16.  If MAINTAIN does have a material problem that $SUBJECT had fixed, we
should either revert MAINTAIN, un-revert $SUBJECT, or fix the problem a
different way.