Re: Non-superuser subscription owners - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Non-superuser subscription owners
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2023-03-25 12:16:35 -0700, Jeff Davis wrote:
> On Fri, 2023-03-24 at 09:24 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > I certainly agree that the security model isn't in a reasonable place
> > right now. However, I feel that:
> >
> > (1) adding an extra predefined role
>
> > (2) even adding the connection string security stuff
>
> I don't see how these points are related to the question of whether you
> should commit your non-superuser-subscription-owners patch or logical-
> repl-as-table-owner patch first.
>

> My perspective is that logical replication is an unfinished feature
> with an incomplete design.

I agree with that much.

>  As I said earlier, that's why I backed away from trying to do non-superuser
> subscriptions as a documented feature: it feels like we need to settle some
> of the underlying pieces first.

I don't agree. The patch allows to use logical rep in a far less dangerous
fashion than now. The alternative is to release 16 without a real way to use
logical rep less insanely. Which I think is work.

> There are some big issues, like the security model for replaying
> changes.

That seems largely unrelated.

> And some smaller issues like feature gaps (RLS doesn't work,
> if I remember correctly, and maybe something with partitioning).

Entirely unrelated?

Greetings,

Andres Freund