Re: Track IO times in pg_stat_io - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Track IO times in pg_stat_io
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2023-03-08 12:55:34 +0100, Drouvot, Bertrand wrote:
> [...]
discardthe samples

> > > Oh, this is an interesting idea. I think you are right about the
> > > synchronization issues making the statistics untrustworthy and, thus,
> > > unuseable.
> >
> > No, I don't think we can do that. It can be enabled on a per-session basis.
>
> Oh right. So it's even less clear to me to get how one would make use of those new *_time fields, given that:
>
> - pg_stat_io is "global" across all sessions. So, even if one session is doing some "testing" and needs to turn
track_io_timingon, then it

> is even not sure it's only reflecting its own testing (as other sessions may have turned it on too).

I think for 17 we should provide access to per-existing-connection pg_stat_io
stats, and also provide a database aggregated version. Neither should be
particularly hard.

> - There is the risk mentioned above of bad interpretations for the "time per operation" metrics.
>
> - Even if there is frequent enough sampling of it pg_stat_io, one does not know which samples contain track_io_timing
changes(at the cluster or session level).

You'd just make the same use of them you do with pg_stat_database.blks_read
etc today.

I don't think it's particularly useful to use the time to calculate "per IO"
costs - they can vary *drastically* due to kernel level buffering. The point
of having the time available is that it provides information that the number
of operations doesn't provide.

> > I think we simply shouldn't do anything here. This is a pre-existing issue.
>
> Oh, never thought about it. You mean like for pg_stat_database.blks_read and pg_stat_database.blk_read_time for
example?

Yes.

Greetings,

Andres Freund