Re: WAL segments removed from primary despite the fact that logical replication slot needs it. - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: WAL segments removed from primary despite the fact that logical replication slot needs it.
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 2023-Feb-06, Masahiko Sawada wrote:

> I've also confirmed that this issue is fixed by the attached patch,
> which clears candidate_restart_lsn and friends during
> ReplicationSlotRelease().

Hmm, interesting -- I was studying some other bug recently involving the
xmin of a slot that had been invalidated and I remember wondering if
these "candidate" fields were being properly ignored when the slot is
marked not in use; but I didn't check.  Are you sure that resetting them
when the slot is released is the appropriate thing to do?  I mean,
shouldn't they be kept set while the slot is in use, and only reset if
we destroy it?

(But, actually, in that case, maybe we don't need to reset them: instead
we need to make sure to ignore the values for slots that are not in_use.
However, I don't know what the semantics are for these "candidate"
fields, so maybe this is wrong.)