Re: doc: add missing "id" attributes to extension packaging page - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: doc: add missing "id" attributes to extension packaging page
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2022-Dec-06, Brar Piening wrote:

> On 06.12.2022 at 01:55, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:
>
> > Oh, now you mention it, I vaguely recall seeing those. However the thread
> > stalled back in March and the patches don't seem to have made it to a
> > CommitFest entry.
>
> Yes, my patches added quite a few ids and also some xsl/css logic to
> make them more discoverable in the browser but I had gotten the
> impression that nobody besides me cares about this, so I didn't push it
> any further.

I care.  The problem last time is that we were in the middle of the last
commitfest, so we were (or at least I was) distracted by other stuff.

Looking at the resulting psql page,
https://pgdocs.piening.info/app-psql.html#APP-PSQL-OPTIONS-EXPANDED
I note that the ID for the -x option is called "options-blah".  I
understand where does this come from: it's the "expanded" bit in the
"options" section.  However, put together it's a bit silly to have
"options" in plural there; it would make more sense to have it be
https://pgdocs.piening.info/app-psql.html#APP-PSQL-OPTION-EXPANDED
(where you can read more naturally "the expanded option for psql").
How laborious would it be to make it so?

> Yes. I can certainly add them to the commitfest although I'm not sure if
> they still apply cleanly.

It'll probably have some conflicts, yeah.

> I can also rebase or extend them if somebody cares.

I would welcome separate patches: one to add the IDs, another for the
XSL/CSS stuff.  That allows us to discuss them separately.