Re: Getting PSQL in Windows to support TAB/Autocomplete via modified readline... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Getting PSQL in Windows to support TAB/Autocomplete via modified readline...
Date
Re: Getting PSQL in Windows to support TAB/Autocomplete via modified readline...  (Kirk Wolak <wolakk@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,

On 2022-11-23 20:55:18 -0500, Kirk Wolak wrote:
> Currently I have a lot of it working, but I need to partner up with some of
> the meson guys...
> if it is already close to working, a couple of my tweaks could accelerate
> it.

I just successfully compiled postgres with meson and readline, using msvc,
only tweaking psql_completion() contents.

The readline I used for building with msvc is from
vcpkg.exe install --triplet x64-windows readline-win32 pkgconf

I also installed icu zlib zstd libxml2 libxslt tcl that way, but shouldn't
matter here.

vcpkg is installed in c:/dev/vcpkg

Other steps:
# let meson know where to get pkgconf from, could also add it to PATH
$ENV:PKG_CONFIG="c:/dev/vcpkg/installed/x64-windows/tools/pkgconf/pkgconf.exe"

# specify location of pkgconfig files, so meson can get compilation flags
meson setup --buildtype debug -Dpkg_config_path=c:/dev/vcpkg/installed/x64-windows/debug/lib/pkgconfig ...

# when running tests, the readline dll needs to be somewhere in PATH
$ENV:PATH="$ENV:PATH;c:/dev/vcpkg/installed/x64-windows/debug/bin"

If you want to build an optimized postgres, you'd need to change the
pkg_config_path and PATH so it doesn't include debug/ (this is because of
needing to link to the same CRT).

Greetings,

Andres Freund