Re: CI and test improvements - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: CI and test improvements
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-11-19 15:45:06 -0600, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> What do you mean "temporarily" ?  I think you're implying that the
> Warnings task is fast but (at least right now) it is not.

In the sense that we don't need all CPUs until the whole commit has finished
testing (none of the tasks are the slowest task, even after ubsan/asan). As
soon as one of the linux tests has finished for one commit, another task in a
concurrently tested commit can start.  Whereas that's not the case for macos,
due to the VM limit.

(cfbot has double the limits, because it has a 10$/mo account)

> Note that the most recent "code coverage" task is built into the
> linux-autoconf task, and slows it down some more.  That's because it's
> the only remaining in-tree build, and I aimed to only show coverage for
> changed files (I know you questioned whether that was okay, but to me it
> still seems to be valuable, even though it obviously doesn't show
> changes outside of those files).

I think we shouldn't add further tests using autoconf, that'll just mean we'll
have to do the work changing that test at some later point.

> And I couldn't see how to map from
> "object filename to source file" with meson, although I guess it's
> possible with instrospection.  I haven't re-sent that patch because it's
> waiting on cfbot changes.

The object files should have that in their metadata, fwiw.

Greetings,

Andres Freund