Re: meson oddities - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: meson oddities
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-11-16 11:54:10 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On 2022-11-16 10:53:59 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> >> Could you explain this in more detail?
>
> > If I just want to install postgres into a prefix without 'postgresql' added in
> > a bunch of directories, e.g. because I already have pg-$version to be in the
> > prefix, there's really no good way to do so - you can't even specify
> > --sysconfdir or such, because we just override that path.
>
> At least for the libraries, the point of the 'postgresql' subdir IMO
> is to keep backend-loadable extensions separate from random libraries.
> It's not great that we may fail to do that depending on what the
> initial part of the library path is.

Agreed, extensions really should never be in a path searched by the dynamic
linker, even if the prefix contains 'postgres'.

To me that's a separate thing from adding postgresql to datadir, sysconfdir,
includedir, docdir... On a green field I'd say the 'extension library'
directory should just always be extensions/ or such.

Greetings,

Andres Freund