Re: meson oddities - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: meson oddities
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2022-11-16 10:53:59 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> Could you explain this in more detail?

> If I just want to install postgres into a prefix without 'postgresql' added in
> a bunch of directories, e.g. because I already have pg-$version to be in the
> prefix, there's really no good way to do so - you can't even specify
> --sysconfdir or such, because we just override that path.

At least for the libraries, the point of the 'postgresql' subdir IMO
is to keep backend-loadable extensions separate from random libraries.
It's not great that we may fail to do that depending on what the
initial part of the library path is.

I could get behind allowing the user to specify that path explicitly
and then not modifying it; but when we're left to our own devices
I think we should preserve that separation.