Re: meson oddities - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: meson oddities
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-11-16 10:53:59 +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 16.11.22 00:40, Andres Freund wrote:
> > Somewhat relatedly, I wonder if we should have a better way to enable/disable
> > the 'pgsql' path logic. It's pretty annoying that prefix basically doesn't
> > work if it doesn't contain 'pgsql' or 'postgres'.
>
> Could you explain this in more detail?

If I just want to install postgres into a prefix without 'postgresql' added in
a bunch of directories, e.g. because I already have pg-$version to be in the
prefix, there's really no good way to do so - you can't even specify
--sysconfdir or such, because we just override that path.

And because many of our binaries are major version specific you pretty much
need to include the major version in the prefix, making the 'postgresql' we
add redundant.

I think the easiest way today is to use a temporary prefix and then just
rename the installation path. But that obviously doesn't deal well with
rpaths, at least as long as we don't use relative rpaths.

Greetings,

Andres Freund