Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v12 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v12
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Aug 28, 2022 at 01:37:41PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> > You're running tap tests via a python script.  There's no problem with
> > that, but it's different from what's done by the existing makefiles.
> > I was able to remove the python indirection - maybe that's better to
> > talk about on the CI thread?  That moves some setup for TAP tests
> > (TESTDIR, PATH, cd) from Makefile into the existing perl, which means
> > less duplication.
>
> I'm doubtful it's worth removing. You'd need to move removing the files from
> the last run into both pg_regress and the tap test infrastructure. And I do
> think it's nice to afterwards have markers which tests failed, so we can only
> collect their logs.

Are you planning on putting something in place to remove (or allow
removing) logs for successful tests ?  Is that primarily for cirrus, or
buildfarm or ??

It is wasteful to upload thousdands of logfiles to show a single
failure.  That would make our cirrus tasks faster - compressing and
uploading the logs takes over a minute.

It's also a lot friendlier to show fewer than 8 pages of test folders to
search through to find the one that failed.

--
Justin