Re: parse partition strategy string in gram.y - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: parse partition strategy string in gram.y
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2022-Oct-24, Finnerty, Jim wrote:

> Is there a reason why HASH partitioning does not currently support
> range partition bounds, where the values in the partition bounds would
> refer to the hashed value?

Just lack of an implementation, I suppose.

> The advantage of hash partition bounds is that they are not
> domain-specific, as they are for ordinary RANGE partitions, but they
> are more flexible than MODULUS/REMAINDER partition bounds.

Well, modulus/remainder is what we have.  If you have ideas for a
different implementation, let's hear them.  I suppose we would have to
know about both the user interface and how it would internally, from two
perspectives: how does tuple routing work (ie. how to match a tuple's
values to a set of bound values), and how does partition pruning work
(ie. how do partition bounds match a query's restriction clauses).