Re: thinko in basic_archive.c - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro Horiguchi
Subject Re: thinko in basic_archive.c
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At Wed, 19 Oct 2022 10:48:03 -0400, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote in

> > Unbounded number of sequential crash-restarts itself is a more serious
> > problem..

(Sorry, this was just a kidding.)

> They don't have to be sequential. Garbage could accumulate over weeks,
> months, or years.

Sure. Users' archive cleanup facilities don't work if they only
handles the files that with legit WAL file names.

> Anyway, I agree we should hope that the system doesn't crash often,
> but we cannot prevent the system administrator from removing the power
> whenever they like. We can however try to reduce the number of
> database-related things that go wrong if this happens, and I think we
> should. Bharath's patch seems like it's probably a good idea, and if
> we can do better, we should.

Yeah, I don't deny this, rather agree.  So, we should name temporary
files so that they are identifiable as garbage unconditionally at the
next startup. (They can be being actually active otherwise.)

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center