Re: shadow variables - pg15 edition - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: shadow variables - pg15 edition
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2022-Oct-10, Andres Freund wrote:

> > > Maybe we can install a filter-out in src/pl/plperl's Makefile for the
> > > time being.
> >
> > We could, but is it really a useful thing for something fixed 6 years ago?

Well, for people purposefully installing using older installs of Perl
(not me, admittedly), it does seem useful, because you get the benefit
of checking shadow vars for the rest of the tree and still get no
warnings if everything is clean.

> As an out, a hypothetical dev could add -Wno-shadow=compatible-local to their
> CFLAGS.

But that disables it for the tree as a whole, which is not better.

We can remove the filter-out when we decide to move the Perl version
requirement up, say 4 years from now.

"El hombre nunca sabe de lo que es capaz hasta que lo intenta" (C. Dickens)