Re: START_REPLICATION SLOT causing a crash in an assert build - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro Horiguchi
Subject Re: START_REPLICATION SLOT causing a crash in an assert build
Date
Re: START_REPLICATION SLOT causing a crash in an assert build  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
At Thu, 6 Oct 2022 13:44:43 +0900, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote in
> On Wed, Oct 05, 2022 at 11:24:57PM -0400, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> > On 10/5/22 8:44 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> >> I have two ideas how to fix it. As a design constraint, I'd be interested in
> >> the RMTs opinion on the following:
> >> Is a cleaner fix that changes the stats format (i.e. existing stats will be
> >> thrown away when upgrading) or one that doesn't change the stats format
> >> preferrable?
> >
> > [My opinion, will let Michael/John chime in]
> >
> > Ideally we would keep the stats on upgrade -- I think that's the better user
> > experience.
>
> The release has not happened yet, so I would be fine to remain
> flexible and bump again PGSTAT_FILE_FORMAT_ID so as we have the
> cleanest approach in place for the release and the future.  At the
> end, we would throw automatically the data of a file that's marked
> with a version that does not match with what we expect at load time,
> so there's a limited impact on the user experience, except, well,
> losing these stats, of course.

+1. FWIW, the atttached is an example of what it looks like if we
avoid file format change.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi