A question about wording in messages - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro Horiguchi
Subject A question about wording in messages
Date
Re: A question about wording in messages
List pgsql-hackers
I saw the following message recently modified.

> This controls the maximum distance we can read ahead in the WAL to prefetch referenced data blocks.

Maybe the "we" means "PostgreSQL program and you" but I see it
somewhat out of place.

I found other three uses of "we" in backend.

> client sent proto_version=%d but we only support protocol %d or lower
> client sent proto_version=%d but we only support protocol %d or higher
> System allows %d, we need at least %d.

This is a little different from the first one. In the three above,
"we" suggests "The developers and maybe the PostgreSQL program".

Is it the right word choice as error messages?  I'm not confident on
the precise wording, but I think something like the following are
appropriate here.

> This controls the maximum distance to read ahead in the WAL to prefetch referenced data blocks.
> client sent proto_version=%d but only protocols %d or lower are supported
> client sent proto_version=%d but only protocols %d or higher are supported
> System allows %d, at least %d needed.

Thoughts?

regards.

--