Re: Cirrus CI (Windows help wanted) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Cirrus CI (Windows help wanted)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-08-18 19:56:56 -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> Note that there's now a cirrusci image with visual studio 2022, which allows
> building postgres.  I tried it here.

In the past there were repeated issues with the cirrus install of visual
studio missing some things, and modifying the install to install them was very
slow, that's why I had switched to installing VS ourselves.

I suspect that the other issue right now is that they updated the host to
a newer version of windows, and when container and host version don't match,
the windows container stuff gets slower starting up.

> But look: https://cirrus-ci.com/task/4953593575899136

Why is the build phase so slow in that image? 12min? That's way slower than
the windows builds normally.

> => I installed most of the goodies, but deferred running the installers until
> the image is run, and it starts just as quickly.  It has to run the installer
> each time, rather than once when building the image.  That's crummy, but it's
> still 1-2 minutes faster than now.  Maybe for some of those, it's not needed to
> run an installer at all.  (Like if the installer can be extracted into
> c:\programfiles).

I am strongly against that. For one, the amount of traffic that causes with
the software providers is substantial. For another, the failure rates of
downloading stuff every time are quite high.

I think pruning the container from unnecessary content, and trying to base it
on the vs 2022 image (which is prel-loaded onto the host) is a better plan.

Greetings,

Andres Freund