Re: Cirrus CI (Windows help wanted) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: Cirrus CI (Windows help wanted)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jul 31, 2022 at 01:31:58PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> > But it failed like:
> >
> > https://cirrus-ci.com/task/5622728425209856?logs=push#L16
> > [00:09:53.675] unauthorized: You don't have the needed permissions to perform this operation, and you may have
invalidcredentials. To authenticate your request, follow the steps in:

> > https://cloud.google.com/container-registry/docs/advanced-authentication
> >
> > Does this require tying my github account to a google account ?
> > Or paying cirrusci ?  Or ??
>
> Not sure what the problem here is - it worked for me in the past.

I reported the problem to Fedor at cirrusci who had to fix something.
It works now.

On Wed, Aug 03, 2022 at 09:06:05PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2022-07-28 17:23:19 -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > I think it could be a lot faster to start, since cirrus caches the generated
> > docker image locally.  Rather than (I gather) pulling the image every time.
>
> I'm quite certain that is not true. All the docker images built are just
> uploaded to the google container registry and then downloaded onto a
> *separate* windows host. The dockerfile: stuff generates a separate task
> running on a separate machine...

I think you're right.  When I used an image built with with Andrew's original
recipe using "dockerfile-as-a-ci-environment" , it still took ~4+ minutes to
start.

Note that there's now a cirrusci image with visual studio 2022, which allows
building postgres.  I tried it here.
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/4939320325832704
Scheduled in 01:19

It makes sense that that's faster since it has none of the goodies or
postgres-specific stuff in your image: debugging tools, perl, python, flex,
bison, ssl, zlib, ICU...

But look: https://cirrus-ci.com/task/4953593575899136

=> I installed most of the goodies, but deferred running the installers until
the image is run, and it starts just as quickly.  It has to run the installer
each time, rather than once when building the image.  That's crummy, but it's
still 1-2 minutes faster than now.  Maybe for some of those, it's not needed to
run an installer at all.  (Like if the installer can be extracted into
c:\programfiles).

--
Justin