Re: operator does not exist: text = bytea - Mailing list pgsql-general

From hubert depesz lubaczewski
Subject Re: operator does not exist: text = bytea
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Jul 20, 2022 at 03:02:13PM +0530, Karthik K L V wrote:
> *Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: ERROR: operator does not
> exist: text = bytea  Hint: No operator matches the given name and argument
> types. You might need to add explicit type casts.  Position: 1037*
> Could you please let me know how I can resolve this issue without making
> changes to the query?

I don't think it's possible.

bytea is basically array of bytes.
text on the other hand is array of characters.

Do the bytes "\xbf\xf3\xb3\x77" equal text "żółw"?

They actually kinda do, if we assume the bytes are text in encoding
Windows-1252 - in which case the bytes mean "żółw".

But if we'd assume the encoding to be, for example, iso8859-1, then the
same sequence of bytes means "¿ó³w"

That's why you can't compare bytes to characters.

You have to either convert bytes to text using convert or convert_from
functions, or change text into bytea using convert_to.

In some cases you can simply cast text to bytea:

$ select 'depesz'::text::bytea;
     bytea
 \x64657065737a
(1 row)

which will work using current server encoding, afair.

depesz