Re: Postgres perl module namespace - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: Postgres perl module namespace
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 07:15:30AM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> I just, again, tried to backport a test as part of a bugfix. The
> renaming between 14 and 15 makes that task almost comically harder. The
> only way I see of dealing with that for the next 5 years is to just
> never backpatch tests to < 15. Which seems like a bad outcome.

For what it's worth, to back-patch TAP suite changes, I've been using this
script (works on a .p[lm] file or on a patch file):

==== bin/tap15to14
#! /bin/sh

# This translates a PostgreSQL 15 TAP test into a PostgreSQL 14 TAP test

sed -i~ '
  s/PostgreSQL::Test::Cluster/PostgresNode/g
  s/PostgreSQL::Test::Utils/TestLib/g
  s/PostgresNode->new/get_new_node/g
' -- "$@"

grep -w subtest -- "$@"
====

> Except that it's *way* too late I would argue that this should just
> straight up be reverted until that aspect is addressed. It's a
> maintenance nightmare.

I do feel PostgreSQL has been over-eager to do cosmetic refactoring.  For me,
this particular one has been sort-of-tolerable.