Re: Add index scan progress to pg_stat_progress_vacuum - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Nathan Bossart
Subject Re: Add index scan progress to pg_stat_progress_vacuum
Date
Re: Add index scan progress to pg_stat_progress_vacuum  ("Imseih (AWS), Sami" <simseih@amazon.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
I took a look at the latest patch set.

+      <entry role="catalog_table_entry"><para role="column_definition">
+       <structfield>indexes_total</structfield> <type>bigint</type>
+      </para>
+      <para>
+       The number of indexes to be processed in the
+       <literal>vacuuming indexes</literal>
+       or <literal>cleaning up indexes</literal> phase. It is set to
+       <literal>0</literal> when vacuum is not in any of these phases.
+      </para></entry>

Could we avoid resetting it to 0 unless INDEX_CLEANUP was turned off or
failsafe kicked in?  It might be nice to know how many indexes the vacuum
intends to process.  I don't feel too strongly about this, so if it would
add a lot of complexity, it might be okay as is.

     BTreeShmemInit();
     SyncScanShmemInit();
     AsyncShmemInit();
+    vacuum_worker_init();

Don't we also need to add the size of the hash table to
CalculateShmemSize()?

+ * A command type can optionally define a callback function
+ * which will derive Datum values rather than use values
+ * directly from the backends progress array.

I think this can be removed.

--
Nathan Bossart