Re: Adding CI to our tree - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: Adding CI to our tree
Date
Re: Adding CI to our tree  (Thomas Munro <thomas.munro@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 09, 2022 at 10:12:54AM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2022-03-09 11:47:23 -0600, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > I'm curious what you think of this patch.
> >
> > It makes check-world on freebsd over 30% faster - saving 5min.
>
> That's nice! While -Og makes interactive debugging noticeably harder IME, it's
> not likely to be a large enough difference just for backtraces etc.

Yeah.  gcc(1) claims that -Og can improve debugging.

I should've mentioned that this seems to mitigate the performance effect of
--coverage on linux, too.

> I'm far less convinced that using "MaxSpeed" for the msvc build is a good
> idea. I've looked at one or two backtraces of optimized msvc builds and
> backtraces were quite a bit worse - and they're not great to start with.  What
> was the win there?

Did you compare FULL optimization or "favor speed/size" or "default"
optimization ?

It's worth trading some some build time (especially with a compiler cache) for
test time (especially with alltaptests).  But I didn't check backtraces, and I
didn't compare the various optimization options.  The argument may not be as
strong for windows, since it has no build cache (and it has no -Og).  We'd save
a bit more when also running the other tap tests.

CI runs are probably not very consistent, but I've just run
https://cirrus-ci.com/task/5236145167532032
master is the average of 4 patches at the top of cfbot.

                / master / patched / change
subscription    / 197s   / 195s    / +2s
recovery        / 234s   / 212s    / -22s
bin             / 383s   / 373s    / -10s

--
Justin