Re: List of all* PostgreSQL EXTENSIONs in the world - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: List of all* PostgreSQL EXTENSIONs in the world
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 04:04:17PM -0500, Joe Conway wrote:
> On 2/10/22 15:35, Robert Haas wrote:
> >On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 3:19 PM Joel Jacobson <joel@compiler.org> wrote:
> >>I've compiled a list of all* PostgreSQL EXTENSIONs in the world:
> >>
> >>https://gist.github.com/joelonsql/e5aa27f8cc9bd22b8999b7de8aee9d47
> >>
> >>*) It's not all, but 1041, compared to the 338 found on PGXN.

How did you make the list?  (I'd imagine doing it by searching for
repositories containing evidence like \bpgxs\b matches.)

> >>Maybe it would be an idea to provide a lightweight solution,
> >>e.g. maintaining a simple curated list of repo urls,
> >>published at postgresql.org or wiki.postgresql.org,
> >>with a simple form allowing missing repos to be suggested for insertion?
> >
> >I think a list like this is probably not useful without at least a
> >brief description of each one, and maybe some attempt at
> >categorization. If I want a PostgreSQL extension to bake tasty
> >lasagne, I'm not going to go scroll through 1041 entries and hope
> >something jumps out at me. I'm going to Google "PostgreSQL lasagne
> >extension" and see if anything promising shows up. But if I had a list
> >that were organized by category, I might try looking for a relevant
> >category and then reading the blurbs for each one...
>
> Agreed.

When I change back-branch APIs and ABIs, I use a PGXN snapshot to judge the
scope of affected modules.  Supplementing the search with these git
repositories would help, even without further curation.  I agree curation
would make the list more valuable for other use cases.  Contributing to PGXN
may be the way to go, though.