Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson
Date
Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2021-10-12 11:50:03 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> It hung because it expected the compiler to be 'ccache cc'. Hanging in
> such a case is kinda unforgivable. I remedied that by setting 'CC=gcc'
> but it then errored out looking for perl libs. I think msys2 is going to
> be a bit difficult here :-(

Hm. Yea, the perl thing is my fault - you should be able to get past it with
-Dperl=disabled, and I'll take a look at fixing the perl detection. (*)

I can't reproduce the hanging though. I needed to install bison, flex and
ninja and disable perl as described above, but then it built just fine.

It does seems to crash somewhere in the main regression tests though, I think
I don't do the "set stack depth" dance correctly for msys.

If you repro the hanging, what's the last bit in meson-logs/meson-log.txt?

(*) I've for now made most dependencies autodetected, unless you pass
--auto-features disabled to collectively disable all the auto-detected
features. Initially I had mirrored the autoconf behaviour, but I got sick of
forgetting to turn off readline or zlib on windows. And then it was useful to
test on multiple operating systems...

For working on windows meson's wraps are quite useful. I've not added that to
the git branch, but if you manually do
  mkdir subprojects
  meson wrap install lz4
  meson wrap install zlib
building with -Dzlib=enabled -Dlz4=enabled will fall back to building lz4,
zlib as-needed.

I was wondering about adding a binary wrap for e.g. bison, flex on windows, so
that the process of getting a build going isn't as arduous.

Greetings,

Andres Freund