Re: storing an explicit nonce - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: storing an explicit nonce
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

> On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 08:25:52AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > * Bruce Momjian (bruce@momjian.us) wrote:

> > > Oh, good point.  Yeah, we will need to handle that.
> >
> > Not sure what's meant here by 'handle that', but I don't see any
> > particular reason to avoid doing exactly the same for zero pages with
> > TDE in core..?  I don't think there's any reason we need to make things
> > complicated to ensure that we encrypt entirely empty pages.
>
> I thought he was saying that when you extend a file, you might have to
> extend it with all zeros, rather than being able to extend it with
> an actual encrypted page of zeros.  For example, I think when a page is
> corrupt in storage, it reads back as a fully zero page, and we would
> need to handle that.  Are you saying we already have logic to handle
> that so we don't need to change anything?

When we extend a file, it gets extended with all zeros.  PG already
handles that case, PG w/ TDE would need to also recognize that case
(which is what Ants was saying their patch does) and handle it.  In
other words, we just need to realize when a page is all zeros and not
try to decrypt it when we're reading it.  Ants' patch does that and my
recollection is that it wasn't very complicated to do, and that seems
much simpler than trying to figure out a way to ensure we do encrypt a
zero'd page as part of extending a file.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment