Re: [HACKERS] GSoC 2017: Foreign Key Arrays - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [HACKERS] GSoC 2017: Foreign Key Arrays
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Stefan,

On 2021-Oct-03, Stefan Keller wrote:

> Just for my understanding - and perhaps as input for the documentation of this:
> Are Foreign Key Arrays a means to implement "Generic Foreign Keys" as
> in Oracle [1] and Django [2], and of "Polymorphic Associations" as
> they call this in Ruby on Rails?

No -- at least as far as I was able to understand the pages you linked to.

It's intended for array elements of one column to reference values in a
scalar column.  These are always specific columns, not "generic" or
"polymorphic" (which I understand to mean one of several possible
columns).

Thanks,

--
Álvaro Herrera           39°49'30"S 73°17'W  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/