Re: prevent immature WAL streaming - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro Horiguchi
Subject Re: prevent immature WAL streaming
Date
List pgsql-hackers
(this is off-topic here)

At Wed, 25 Aug 2021 09:56:56 -0400, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote in
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 11:04 PM Kyotaro Horiguchi
> <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> wrote:
> > At Mon, 23 Aug 2021 18:52:17 -0400, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote in
> > > I'd also like to have tests.  That seems moderately hard, but if we had
> > > WAL-molasses that could be used in walreceiver, it could be done. (It
> > > sounds easier to write tests with a molasses-archive_command.)
> > >

> > > [1] https://postgr.es/m/CBDDFA01-6E40-46BB-9F98-9340F4379505@amazon.com
> > > [2] https://postgr.es/m/3f9c466d-d143-472c-a961-66406172af96.mengjuan.cmj@alibaba-inc.com
> >
> > (I'm not sure what "WAL-molasses" above expresses, same as "sugar"?)
>
> I think, but am not 100% sure, that "molasses" here is being used to
> refer to fault injection.

Oh. That makes sense, thanks.

I sometimes inject artificial faults (a server crash, in this case) to
create specific on-disk states but I cannot imagine that that kind of
machinery can be statically placed in the source tree..

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center