Re: pg_upgrade does not upgrade pg_stat_statements properly - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_upgrade does not upgrade pg_stat_statements properly
Date
Re: pg_upgrade does not upgrade pg_stat_statements properly  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 09:35:28PM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 2021 at 6:52 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
>     I came up with the attached patch.
>

> Thank you.  It is an improvement but I think more could be done here (not
> exactly sure what - though removing the "copy binaries for contrib modules from
> the old server" seems like a decent second step.)

Uh, I don't see that text.

> I'm not sure it really needs a parenthetical, and I personally dislike using
> "Consider" to start the sentence.
>
> "Bringing extensions up to the newest version available on the new server can
> be done later using ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE (after ensuring the correct
> binaries are installed)."

OK, I went with this new text.  There is confusion over install vs copy,
and whether this is happening at the operating system level or the SQL
level.  I tried to clarify that, but I am not sure I was successful.  I
also used the word "extension" since this is more common than "custom".

Attachment