Re: Rename of triggers for partitioned tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Rename of triggers for partitioned tables
Date
Re: Rename of triggers for partitioned tables  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2021-Jul-20, Arne Roland wrote:

> Is your patch based on master? It doesn't apply at my end.

It does ... master being dd498998a3 here,

$ patch -p1 < /tmp/renametrig-8.patch
patching file src/backend/commands/trigger.c
patching file src/backend/parser/gram.y
patching file src/test/regress/expected/triggers.out
patching file src/test/regress/sql/triggers.sql

applies fine.

>> I don't think we need to give a NOTICE when the trigger name does not
>> match; it doesn't really matter that the trigger was named differently
>> before the command, does it?

> I'd expect the command
> ALTER TRIGGER name ON table_name RENAME TO new_name;
> to rename a trigger named "name". We are referring the trigger via it's name after all. If a child is named
differentlywe break with that assumption. I think informing the user about that, is very valuable.

Well, it does rename a trigger named 'name' on the table 'table_name',
as well as all its descendant triggers.  I guess I am surprised that
anybody would rename a descendant trigger in the first place.  I'm not
wedded to the decision of removing the NOTICE, though  ... are there any
other votes for that, anyone?

Thanks

--
Álvaro Herrera           39°49'30"S 73°17'W  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/